Learn how to Sew a Slouchy Beanie – Intro to Knits
Sew Your Own Slouchy Beanie: Intro to sewing with knits with Marge Hockenberry
If you have ever wanted to learn how to sew your own cozy clothes and accessories with soft knits, this is a great class to get you started and inspired.
You will learn:
• All about knit fabrics and how to sew them (where to buy, what to look for, etc)
• The best tools & supplies to use
• Pattern resources and tips (how & where to download, how to open and use them)
• Introduction to using a serger (Brother 1034DX)
You will make:
• A Slouchy Beanie sized to fit (if time and materials allow, you can make additional beanies for $10 ea)
Choose from the fabrics provided OR bring your own knit fabric
Recommended fabrics: Ponte, sweater knits, liverpool, brushed poly, rayon blends, tshirt knits, upcycled sweaters, etc. Anything with a decent amount of drape to it works best, otherwise the “slouch” won’t happen as well. I suggest washing your fabric before you begin to pre-shrink & help prevent color bleeding in the future.
Cuff piece: Any knits with at least a 25% stretch…i.e. 4 inches of fabric stretches to 5″.
Main Fabric: 1/3 yard
Cuff: less than 1/4 yard required
The pattern will be available at the class, but you can also download it here: